Dubai is gaining worldwide recognition for its fantastic food experience. It offers an exhilarating gastronomic experience that is not just limited to its seven-star luxurious restaurants but also its quaint cafes and most notably many food trucks that are lining the streets. Dubai’s restaurant industry is predicted to reach 20 billion US dollars by 2020, showcasing an upward trend of growth of this industry. This rising demand is attributed to the huge influx of tourists that are coming to the country round the year. It has gradually become the gastronomic and culinary hub of the Middle East, with international food chains wanting to open their franchises in Dubai.
In recent years food trucks in Dubai have gained immense popularity, thus driving the demand for food truck licenses in Dubai. There are endless possibilities in terms of what type of cuisines you can sell from a food truck or what kind of theme the food truck will display. Usually, food trucks sell local food, but as Dubai is the land of expats, therefore, the food trucks here can be seen selling international street foods like Indian Chai, Chinese Dumplings, Italian Meatballs and Spaghetti, Mexican Tamales,Turkish Kebabs, and Korean Fried Chicken,Japanese Takoyaki, etc. Moreover, food trucks are positioned in such a way that ensures maximum visibility and easy access and is located in such districts that guarantee maximum foot traffic.
Setting up a food truck business in UAE demands lesser capital as compared to opening a restaurant. The return on investment (ROI) in the case of food trucks is also a lot quicker. You either can lease a food truck or you can purchase your own food truck. Plus, the rent is more inexpensive as opposed to renting a place.
The first step for starting a food truck business in Dubai is by getting a food truck license in Dubai. To get the requisite food truck license, you will want approvals from:
- Dubai Municipality
- Department of Economic Development (DED)
- Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP)
Getting Approval for the Food Truck from the DED
The Dubai Economic Department (DED) has the following principal responsibilities:
- To understand the proposed business plan of companies wishing to start their operations in the city and,
- To regulate and keep an eye on the economic performance of businesses in Dubai.
- Lastly, it is also responsible for granting licenses to applicants, inspections, and issuing legal agreements for businesses.
The first step in getting a food truck license in Dubai is to obtain permission from DED and the Dubai Municipality. For acquiring this approval, you are required to submit a comprehensive business plan.
The business plan must define the following aspects:
- The idea: Describing the thought behind this business venture, its objectives, short-term, and long-term goals, etc
- The financial plan: How do you plan on raising funds needed for the business. Where will you get the required capital?
- The concept: What kind of food will you be serving? What will be the theme of the food truck?
- The business model: What type of business model you will be using?
The business plan should also include a list of:
- Your immediate competitors and ways to face them
- Suggested add-ons that will add value to your business
The financial plan must consist of:
- A thorough funding strategy – whether gathering funds from investors or self-investment
- Risks associated with the business and the methods to reduce the risks
The plan needs to convince the concerned authorities that your idea of a food truck is a well-thought-out idea, and can be a profitable business.
Getting Approval for the Food Truck from the HACCP
The relevant authorities must approve both the truck and the kitchen in it for safety and hygiene. You are obligated to get two certifications from Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) for:
- The layout for the food truck – this involves the overall design of your kitchen. The kitchen setup, The food storage system, the cooking area, and the cooking system, the waste disposal system, the cooking system, etc. should be approved.
- The design of the food truck – this includes the entire plan of the food truck, besides the kitchen—other aspects like the provision for electricity, specs of the truck, safety measures, hygiene conditions of the entire truck, etc.
HACCP certified food trucks will help strengthen your brand’s credibility as it guarantees your commitment to providing safe food. It demonstrates your earnestness towards eradicating different hazards from your food truck by employing effective tactics to ensure the highest safety and hygiene standards are maintained.
Note: Permit from RTA is needed for business branding on the food truck.
Ready to Start Your own Business in Dubai?
If you want to start a food truck business in Dubai, then get in touch with us. KWS Middle East is a premier business setup consultancy who will work with you on getting the requisite approvals. Once these approvals come in from the government authorities, you are ready to start your business in Dubai!
Contact us today and book your commitment-free call with us today!.